Sunday 18 May 2008

Feminist, Rosie Boycott, and why she thinks twice about employing young women

"I found myself in a dilemma. If Sarah became pregnant, I would be legally obliged to keep paying her for a full year after she’d given birth – which the business could ill afford. Now, on top of this, the government has announced that parents of children up to the age of 16 (as opposed to only up to six) will have the right to ask employers for flexible working arrangements."

Obviously, if a well known man - such as Alan Sugar for example - had said the same thing, he'd be reflexively accused of sexism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ran a small business employing five women. Once the laws started changing, I quickly realised that they were a MAJOR liability. Closing that business before any became pregnant was one of the smartest things I ever did. I now make more money and don't have to listen to constant bitching over husbands/boyfriends/children or each other. Sad thing is, they are all now unemployed and being of child bearing age, a huge risk to any potential employer.